Botrivier is a small town of approximately 4,000 people, situated in the Overberg region of the Western Cape in South Africa. It is exactly 20km from Grabouw, Caledon and Kleinmond which makes it the perfect location if you want to be near everything and just far away to have the peace and quiet of country life. It is surrounded by a myriad of things to do and see and you are spoilt for choice on where to eat. The town lies in the foothills of the Houw Hoek Mountains, en route to Hermanus. The Botrivier, after which the hamlet is named, meanders its way through a fertile valley surrounded by mountains covered in Fynbos, historical wine farms and fields of wheat.
Botrivier has a variety of accommodation options available from Guest Houses, Bed and Breakfasts to Self-catering units, to suit every taste and budget. The accommodation section provides a list of advertisers for the town. The river, which rises south of the Theewaterskloof Dam, flows into a large lagoon, forming a marsh near its mouth, known as the Bot River Lagoon.
The Botrivier wetlands are home to thousands of waterfowl and you can catch a glimpse of South Africa's only herd of wild horses that roams in a wetland habitat. A couple of wine farms situated in and around this town and well worth a visit have also helped put Botrivier on the map.
* Old historical Hotel where people meet to chat, sleep and eat - on the plain (Marelize - 028 284 9640)
* Manny's Portuguese restaurant on the plain - fab food! (People come from all over for this) (Manny - 028 284 9777)
* Shuntin' Shed restaurant on the station - very good food and atmosphere
* Human's second hand decor shop on the plain - everybody should visit and browse (Human -083 460 2212)
In the vicinity:
* Various wine farms :
* Houwhoek Farm Stall and restaurant on the Houw Hoek Pass. Very good cuisine.
* Houwhoek Hotel - the oldest Hotel in the area with biggest eucalyptus tree in Africa. Unbelievable ambience. Fantastic restaurant and garden setting with old trees, lawns, ducks, huge pond, trampoline and putt-putt for the kids. Perfect for any meal or tea time. Special menu Monday to Thursday nights. Great events location. Stunning accommodation.
* Dassiesfontein - biggest variety of knick-knacks and excellent restaurant (a must!) 8km outside Botrivier. Absolutely everybody who visits the area, goes there. It is not to be missed and should be mentioned everywhere.
* Van der Stel Pass - breathtaking views and photo opportunities. Overwhelming silence - perfect for soul searching.
* Protea Nursery - restaurant. 4km outside Botrivier on the R43. Fantastic setting, dried flower business.
* Salandra Farm Stall and restaurant 4km outside Botrivier on the R43. New owners.
* Cornellskop - where wild animals are tamed for TV and movies. Feed the young and enjoy the farm. On the Van der Stel Pass, + 5km outside Botrivier. Accommodation.
* Kol-Kol. Most fantastic accommodation in the area with coal heated outside tubs at every unit. Very famous in winter.
* Basterkloof farm accommodation. Koos and Elize Smit - 083 232 7637.
* Caledon Casino. 20km from Botrivier.
* Harold Porter Botanical gardens in Betties Bay with good restaurant and best pecan pie ever. Wonderful setting.
* Penguin colony in Betties Bay.
* Cape Agulhas - the southern most tip of Africa - is approximately 100km from Botrivier.
* Hermanus - 32km from Botrivier on the R43.
See our Activity directory for further information.
Editorial contributions courtesy of Thea Swanepoel – Swan Gables