BUSHMANS KLOOF WILDERNESS RESERVE & WELLNESS RETREAT
|BUSHMANS KLOOF WILDERNESS RESERVE & WELLNESS RETREAT
|Contact Person:||Stephanie Hall|
|Phone:||021 481 1860
|Fax:||021 481 1870|
|Address:||Cederberg Mountains, West Coast, South Africa|
The ultimate wilderness experience to escape, rest, heal and be at one with nature, with wide open plains, mystical rock formations, crystal clear waterfalls and an abundance of flora and fauna. A 7500 hectare malaria and predator free haven nestled at the foothills of the Cederberg Mountains, just 270km from Cape Town. This South African Natural Heritage Site is home to rooibos tea and many exceptional Bushman rock art sites.
16 Rooms and suites for up to 32 guests, all in splendid luxury. Indulgently comfortable, individually designed and decorated with natural fabrics, traditional furnishings and light colours all with their own private terraces and en-suite bathrooms.
ALL ROOMS OFFER:
- Air conditioning, ceiling fans and under-floor heating
- In-room safe and mini bar
- Direct dial telephone
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- Complimentary WIFI
DELUXE ROOMS AND SUITES OFFER:
- Lounge areas (either separate or within the bedroom)
- Some with fireplaces
- Satellite television, DVD player, CD player and iPod docking station
- Complimentary laundry and valet services in the suites
7 LUXURY ROOMS - Double or twin with a private patio overlooking the landscaped indigenous gardens, and one of the three nearby swimming pools.
- Average size: Bedroom – 20 sq meters/ 215.8 sq foot, Bathroom – 7 sq meters/ 75.35 sq foot
7 DELUXE ROOMS - All have lounge areas, large private terraces with stunning views of the gardens, river and reserve. One Deluxe Room, Niven is ideal for families sharing the perfect getaway – 2 bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms and private terrace.
- Average size: Bedroom & Lounge – 40 sq meters/ 430.56 sq foot, Bathroom – 17 sq meters/ 182.9 sq foot
PATERSON SUITE – In the original Manor House with its own lounge, fireplace and spectacular terrace views.
- Average size: Bedroom – 27.14 sq meters/ 292.1 sq foot, Lounge – 36.26 sq meters/ 390.3 sq foot, Bathroom – 7.82 sq meters/ 84.17 sq foot
RIVERSIDE SUPREME SUITE – The ultimate, private and exquisitely decorated Suite that is secluded beside the Boontjies River. A separate lounge and fireplace, large terrace, outdoor shower and its own heated swimming pool.
- Average size: Bedroom - 24.19 sq meters/ 260.38 sq foot, Lounge - 32.64 sq meters/ 351.33 sq foot, Bathroom - 11.02 sq meters/ 118.62 sq foot
Experience the finest traditional and contemporary Cape cuisine in a variety of breathtaking locations prepared with fresh herbs, fruits and vegetables grown in our organic gardens.
The restaurant adjoins the pool terrace, where high tea is often served. The formal dining room is warm and elegantly furnished, with a full complement of attentive staff to present a selection of specialities offered each evening from the Executive Chef’s table d’hôte menu. Enjoy cocktails in the bar and after dinner drinks beside the fireplace.
An extraordinary location under African skies, Embers is built into a natural ancient sandstone amphitheatre of giant boulders overlooking dramatic cliffs and valleys, and lit up by a roaring fire and hundreds of candles and lanterns. Guests are spoilt for choice with a South African salad buffet and home-baked breads, a choice of grills which includes Karoo lamb, traditional sausage, succulent steaks and chicken kebabs, and of course delectable desserts.
(‘To feast’ in the ancient language of the Bushman), has stone walls enclosing an elegant lounge with twin fireplaces overlooking sweeping lawns and the Boontjies river. The ideal choice for mouth watering high teas, hot cooked breakfasts and outdoor celebration dinners. Complemented by our fine wines, guests have an unequivocal taste celebration of the Cederberg.
(‘Tinderbox of stories’ in the ancient language of the Bushman), a secret dining location within the reserve for intimate candlelit dinners of up to 16 guests. Perfect for smaller groups, private celebrations and ideal for special occasions. Additional surcharge applicable and 24 hours notice required.
A specially prepared picnic or barbeque menu served anywhere, anytime in the reserve. Additional surcharge applicable and 24 hours notice required.
The heart of the lodge with bar, wine cellar, restaurant, dining terrace and 2 lounge areas with fireplace and flat screen television.
THE HERITAGE CENTRE
Where ancient Bushman artefacts are exhibited and the guides present specialist talks and tours covering a large range of topics on the San and the reserve.
THE RIVER BOMA
A place to gather round the fire and share stories. Its open air seating down by the river is perfect for sundowners and for stargazing with after dinner drinks.
With 4 treatment rooms, dual gazebo, Crystal steam room, tranquillity lounge and spa garden.
4 OUTDOOR SWIMMING POOLS
Surrounded by lush lawns including a pool at the Homestead.
Peaceful, comfortable, exclusive and private for up to 32 people, with state-of-the-art technology.
THE TRADING POST
Has a small treasure trove of souvenirs and handcrafted artwork. All items are carefully selected and wherever possible, exclusive to Bushmans Kloof.
Equipped with bosu balls, yoga mats, exercise bicycle, rowing machine, treadmill and weight training equipment.
ACTIVITIES AND EXPERIENCES
Guided rock art excursions - The reserve is custodian to over 130 San rock art sites, some of them dating as far back as 10 000 years.
Sunset and evening nature drives to view the abundant wildlife - 150 species of bird and 35 species of mammals (several of which are listed on the IUCN and Red Data list) make Bushmans Kloof their home. Gemsbok, Bontebok, Cape Mountain Zebra, Eland, Black Wildebeest and Springbok roam free in the reserve.
Fynbos excursions - Between July and October, thousands of Spring flowers transform the veld into a vibrant palette of colours. 755 indigenous plant species have been identified, including our very own ‘Special Collection’ found only in this area, and the world famous Rooibos tea plant.
- Swimming in rock pools and near waterfalls
- Picnics at a variety of locations throughout the reserve
- Canoeing and fly fishing
- Archery and croquet
- Full and half day hiking trails
- Running and jogging
- Mountain biking
- Stargazing and bird watching
- Early morning power walks and guided meditation
- Special interest presentations
- Painting sets in all rooms and suites
- Yoga mats and instructional DVD’s available in all rooms and suites
- A selection of games are available on request
The surrounding wilderness is therapy in itself with the abundant natural healing energy so special to Bushmans Kloof. Our new spa is a peaceful sanctuary where one can surrender to the ancient mystical powers of the African healing rituals and rejuvenate, replenish, relax and achieve deep inner peace and harmony.
- 4 Treatment rooms for dual and single treatments with rain showers
- The Crystal steam room, featuring Rock Quartz Crystal renowned for its healing properties
- The Tranquillity Lounge for relaxing in between and after all spa treatments
- Health Bar with homemade treats and fresh hand-picked Rooibos Tea
- Fitness Centre with a full range of cardio and resistance equipment
- The Spa Gazebo beside the Boontjies River is an extraordinary spa experience for dual treatments where you can be truly at one with nature
- Our internationally acclaimed products are Elemis and Dermalogica, and our new range B | Africa is inspired by the indigenous, healing properties unique to this environment.
A traditional farmhouse transformed into a spectacular secluded villa that offers your own private wilderness for families and friends travelling together. Situated in glorious isolation a few minutes drive from the Lodge surrounded by never ending views of the surrounding natural beauty. Independently catered for, offering exceptional comfort, service and splendid luxury while being at one with nature.
- Personal host, chef and guide
- Can accommodate up to 8 people
- Children of all ages welcome
- 2 Master bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms (one with outdoor shower)
- Entertainment lounge with en-suite bathroom (can sleep 2 people)
- Kitchen, bar, dining area and living room with fireplace
- Loft area can accommodate 4 children
- All meals and a selection of beverages included
- Pool and outdoor BBQ area
- Telephones and complimentary WIFI
- Dual-view satellite television
- Air conditioning, under-floor heating and ceiling fans
- Housekeeping and laundry service included
- Spa treatments available at the main lodge, or select treatments available
- at Koro Lodge
- Yoga mats and instructional DVD’s available at Koro Lodge
- Design your own programme to include rock art walks,
- nature drives, mountain biking, canoeing (with life jackets),
- hiking, fly fishing and archery
Bushmans Kloof offers an inspirational, romantic and spiritual setting that is unspoiled and untamed. Whether an engagement, wedding, honeymoon, anniversary, milestone birthday, baby shower or christening, our dedicated special occasions planner will guide and support you for your memorable occasion.
WEDDING VENUES – Embers, Manor House Deck, Manor House Lawns and the Peninsula Dam
RECEPTION VENUES – The Homestead, Embers, Makana and Kadoro
MEETINGS AND EVENTS
Whether you’re inspiring change, building teams, creating a new vision, rewarding hard work, breaking down barriers, here one’s imagination can roam free. Our team will ensure every need is met for the most successful of events. A variety of breakaway locations and one meeting room with state-of-the-art equipment.
MAKING A DIFFERENCE
Bushmans Kloof is committed to the community and dedicated to social responsibility, whether by supporting local charities, conservation, preservation, nature, heritage, green initiatives, or supporting personal development for each member of the team.
The reserve provides a sanctuary for the rare Cape Mountain Zebra, and has been pivotal in replenishing endangered Clanwilliam Cedars into the area. We work closely with the local communities, providing training, support, employment and purchasing their products for the lodge. We also play an instrumental role in the community by involving the local schools in a tourism and conservation project called Footprints for the Future.
OUR ART COLLECTION
As a proudly South African property we are privileged to share the works of our country’s most highly acclaimed artists with our guests. This private collection includes talented emerging artists such as Alfred Thoba, Simon Lekgetho and Sydney Kumalo,
and internationally renowned Southern African artists namely Tinus de Jongh, Jacob Hendrik Pierneef, Craig Bone and Thomas Baines (UK), reflecting the rich cultural diversity of Southern Africa. A fine selection of Ardmore ceramic pottery is used in all our dining outlets.